Friday, April 24, 2020

Plain Words

I threw a testament at you.
Words in a sack
That you had no need for.
I entered on Christmas night
Dropped them 
down your chimney
Like Santa supreme,
You were gifted.

They landed sooty
They landed old
They'd travelled so far.
After all,
After all, 
they'd been 
At home and seen
Shelves of ideas stored away,
Brain tight, invisible,
A priceless clutter
A warehouse,
Messy and full but frequented
If only by me,
So all surfaces dust-free,
Singularly touched
Unless 
You can mind read.

I had so many things to say
So I parcelled
And pampered
And prepared,
Alongside my mind
Busy elsewhere.
Conjuring these compulsions
Decorating, dressing them
In necessity
Smudging unseen corners,
Implications, 
I drained everything
Into you.

Can't help wondering 
What you'll do with my words.
If you'd 
Eat them
Seat them
Seed them
Need them
Or anything
At all.

With the phone in front of me
A dimmed reality,
The falling of night,
An app dulling the light,
I'm able to see
nothing else.

Plain words.

© Utsa Seth, 2020

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Some very fresh images. That gap in time between pouring oneself out to someone thinking them to be close and them responding back responding to the trust placed in them and the expectations of empathy and understanding back from them - is captured very well.

    ReplyDelete