Sunday, May 2, 2021

Hey, Look at the Cookie

I sat down slow.

Pencil in hand 

and

love on a platter,

and thought about how 

I may reach you

beyond, and deeper

than mere chatter,

convince you,

that the intricacies,

the struggle, the ache

you feel,

I feel,

is just as temporary

as full stomached satisfaction

and the hearts that melt in our hugs.


We're always turning 

our heads away

in the wrong direction,

looking ‘neath the flowers

at thorny torment,

glancing above the cookies

to see more space in the jar,

growing, to get over.


What sounds inside

takes me to task, asks,

with every silver lining

don't tell me

you don't see the clouds?

To which I say

I do,

but that isn't 

what the sky is about.


I wonder then,

that when I say,

the world is a tad sweeter

with you in it

and that you live 

in someone's smile 

and mine

will you believe it?

just for a short while,

that you're a gift

worth every dime

and life has wanted you 

and waited a long, 

long time to love you.


3 comments:

  1. Oh to see the world from
    The eyes of a young eager soul
    No scratch no scar
    No blemish to behold
    A childlike curiosity
    Yet a world with such depth
    The cocky confidence
    Of a youth adept
    Tentative discovery of emotions
    Distilled thoughts sublime
    Like smelling wet earth
    For the very first time

    - Dear Utsa
    I really enjoyed tiptoeing through your blog. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Utsa, I enjoyed reading your poetry. Kowing how young you are I can feel the perfume of your adulthood.
    Very sensitive: “How I may reach you. Beyond and deeper than mere chatter”. With a questioning mind: “honesty? honesty”. And very clear and courageous on your objetives: “I pace. It’s not that hard I tell myself.”
    I wish you success. May your poetry go around the world and inspire many.
    Gloria Arieira
    Teacher of Vedanta
    Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem, Hey, look at the Cookie is an invitation to see the essence of life. Our earthly loves and relations are fleeting as full stomached satisfaction. Cookie refers to the sweetness and beauty of our life. Our life is not something to get over with. It's to be lived to the full and lived meaningfully. But we need to be dispassionate in our loves. The poet sees her loved one in her own smile and in the smiles of others. It's a spiritual realization to see oneself in everyone and everything around her. The poet jolts us into such spiritul relizations through expressions such as ' but that's not what the sky is about', ' as temporary as full stomached satisfaction', and ' the hearts that melt in our hugs'. The poet exhorts us not to see life as empty baubles, but to see it as a delectable and meaningful experience. The poet asks us to be exhilarated by the beauty of life that blooms around us and within and not to get bruised by the thorns of life. The key to the beauty and meaning of life lies in loving and being involved with life, but still remain unaffected. When our love expands to embrace all humanity, we will see that life becomes more profound and deeper just as the sky takes us beyond the clouds to the vastness and profundity of life.

    Great Utsa, your poems are well wrought out and have depth. Keep writing

    Joyson C. J

    ReplyDelete